Friday, September 2, 2011

With God Not For God

Growing up in the church I was constantly frustated because I was told I needed to do "for" God. And I didn't know how or what to do for God. Plus I figured if God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and always present why does He need me to do for Him? As I read and study Scripture I have yet to find anywhere it says that I or any other human being is to to do for God. Scripture tells me I am to do with God. I am to join God in what He is already doing. I don't have to come up with the plan or even how to work the plan. God has a purpose and God has a plan to fulfill that purpose. I don't have to come up with anything, I simply have to join with God and obey Him.
I thus don't have to seek God's will for my life, I need to just seek God. I seek God so that I can know Him and have a relationship with Him because if my relationship with God is not right than nothing else will work properly. But if my relationship with God is right then He will show Himself and His will to me. He will also show me where He is at work and how to join Him in that work.
I am to seek not what the culture tells me to seek. I am not to seek even what the church culture sometimes tells me to seek. I am to seek Jesus. And I have the promise of God that if I seek Him with my whole heart I will find Him and I will experience the fullness of His presence and power.
There are days when I feel so overwhelmed with all that is wrong in the world, in my nation, in my community and even in the lives of the people in my church, whom I love and hurt and suffer with as they hurt and suffer. In the midst of all of this my Abba, my Dad comes and reminds me the pressure is not on me to find a solution to problems, to the hurting. God has the solution to all of it and the solution is - Him and my job very simply is - to point people to Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment