Sunday, December 3, 2017

Loving Those Who Don't Love You


In 2 Peter 1:3, Peter writes, “By this divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all this by coming to know Him, the one who called us to Himself by means of this marvelous glory and excellence.”



God has given us everything - understanding and power - to live a life that pleases God.



One of the main things that God has given us is love.



That is truly awesome!



Love for:

My wife

My children

My grandchildren

My faith family

My friends



But it is also love for my enemies and for those who persecute me.



Matthew 5:43-44

You have heard that it was said, “Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.” But I tell you: “Love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”



God’s Word teaches us to love our neighbor and our enemy.

The world’s values say to love our neighbor hate our enemy.



We are doing a really good job of hating our enemies. It seems that when one person disagrees another person, or when one group disagrees with another group, we demonize the other person or other group. We can’t just disagree with them; we have to make them bad, horrible monsters.



Jesus says that we are to love our enemies.

Jesus says that we are to pray for those who persecute us.



Jesus says that when we do this, we show that we are sons of God.



Jesus points out that God the Father gives the blessing of sun and rain on the good and righteous as well as the evil and unrighteous.



This truth came to me this past week.



The American atheist’s organization has been paying for billboards around the country. They have one in Albuquerque. The billboard says, “Just skip church; it’s all fake news.”



When the news media asked some people about the billboard, most of them said that they did not support it. Some were very critical of the billboard and the group that supported putting it up. I have to admit that also was my first thought. Then God got my attention by bringing the Matthew passage to my mind.



God showed me those questions that Jesus asked in this passage.



If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? – None!

Are not even the tax collectors doing that? – Yes!

And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? – Nothing!

Do not even pagans do that? – Yes!



So, if I am critical of those who are encouraging people to reject not just the church but the Head of the church, Jesus, because what the church teaches about Jesus is fake, then am I not being just like them? The answer is yes.



I believe that Jesus has called me to love those who think I am stupid and even evil for being a follower of Jesus.

I believe that Jesus has called me to pray for those who want to restrict or even do away with my freedom to proclaim Jesus as Lord.



Is that easy? No, it is not. The truth is that my natural inclination is to condemn and mock those who condemn and mock me.



The problem with that is twofold.



First, it is not demonstrating that I am a child of God. That action would not honor God, and the thing I am called to do above everything is honor God with how I live.



Second, it does not reflect the character of Jesus.



When Jesus is hanging on the cross, after He has been beaten, mocked, and flogged, He says, “Father, forgive them. They do not know what they are doing.”



So, as I listened to the news broadcast about the billboards, God spoke to me about being thankful for the billboard.



Thankful that the followers of Jesus in America are doing enough to make what we believe be seen in how we live.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is living out a radical relationship with Jesus.



Thankful that the billboard will make people more aware that Christmas is about Jesus.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is making Christmas about Jesus.



Thankful that through the billboard the gospel has the opportunity to be shared more.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is using everything in our lives as followers of Jesus to share the good news.



I believe that what Jesus was telling me to do was defend the rights of this group to express their beliefs.



I know that most if not all atheists would not support my right to worship Jesus and proclaim Him. I will support an atheist’s right to not worship or believe in any supreme being and proclaim that.



I will pray that God would by His Spirit change their hearts, not for my sake but for theirs.



Lovingly and By God’s Power Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,

                                                   Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment