Sunday, December 10, 2017

Jesus is Christmas!


When I was a child, I loved Christmas.



I loved the music. My favorite Christmas carol is Silent Night. Every year in my elementary school. the last day of school we would gather in the auditorium and watch the story of how Silent Night was written. and then we went back to our classroom and had our Christmas party. The song reminded me for years of those Christmas parties.



I loved the decorations. I loved driving around my hometown and seeing all the lights and the homes all decorated.



I loved getting up on Christmas day and seeing all the gifts that Santa had brought me.



I loved the feel of the season that seemed to change people’s attitudes (a least for a month).



Notice what was missing in my love of Christmas? – Christ!



I loved so much about Christmas but I was like the church at Ephesus. I was not focused on the first love of Christmas – Christ.



That changed the Christmas when I was 12. I had surrendered my life to Jesus early in that year and Christmas changed dramatically for me.



I still loved the music and the decorations and the gifts, but they were not what Christmas was about. Christmas had become about the coming of Jesus.



I still love Christmas and the focus on that love has grown. I now understand more fully the awesome display of sacrifice and grace Christmas is.



The Sacrifice



In Philippians 2:6-8 Paul writes, “Who being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to His own advantage; rather, He made Himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to death – even death on a cross!”



Notice the phrases:

Made Himself Nothing

Taking The Very Nature of Servant

He Humbled Himself



The coming of Jesus into the world was something that He chose to do. He didn’t come as a person of nobility but as a servant, again something He chose to do. He didn’t come demanding to be served, but He came to serve.



The magnitude of Jesus’ sacrifice in just coming to earth is overwhelming. The idea of the Creator of all creation choosing to become a humble servant should cause us to realize and be in awe of the love that God has for us.



Then we are told of the ultimate purpose of Jesus’ coming. He came to be the sacrifice for your sin and for mine. In fact, Jesus came to die for the sin of all humanity.



He didn’t come to die as a martyr, but as our atoning sacrifice. You and I can die as martyrs for a cause. Jesus is the only one who could die for sin.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is celebrating Jesus as our atoning sacrifice as we celebrate Christmas.



The Grace



Colossians 1:15-16

The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through Him and for Him.



Jesus is the image of the invisible God – He is God.

Jesus is the firstborn over all creation – He is the preeminent being in all creation.

Jesus is Creator of everything in heaven and earth.

Jesus is the Creator of all the powers and authorities in heaven and earth.

Jesus is the Reason for everything in heaven and earth.

Jesus is the Reason for all the powers and authorities in heaven and earth.



God’s Word gives clear evidence that Jesus is Cause and Reason for all creation both in heaven and on the earth.



So, when Jesus chose to be born as a helpless human baby it was totally out of GRACE!



He didn’t have to do it.

He didn’t do it because we as humans deserve it.

He didn’t do it because we as humans had the potential to ever deserve it.



No, everything about Jesus’ coming is because of God’s great grace.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is about seeing and experiencing God’s grace in the celebrating of Christmas.



I will sing the songs this Christmas.

I will decorate this Christmas.

I will enjoy my family (both biological and faith) this Christmas.

I will give and receive gifts this Christmas.



But I will not celebrate any of those things. I will celebrate Jesus and only Jesus on His birthday. Jesus’ sacrifice and His grace are what make Him and only Him worthy of my life and my worship.



Because of and With Jesus Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls This Christmas,

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment