Sunday, June 20, 2021

A Chosen Race and a Holy Nation

 

Have you ever had the experience of reading a passage of scripture that you have read many times before but you read it one day and God speaks to you through it and reveals a truth that you had not seen before? Well, I had that experience again this week. I was reading 1 Peter 2:9 this week and God showed me something that I had not seen before.

 

1 Peter 2:9

You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.

 

The things that God showed me were that we are God’s chosen race and His holy nation.

 

Those who Jesus has called out of darkness and into His light are His race and His nation. Jesus brings people from all human races, nations, cultures, and languages and unites them into a people that does not judge themselves or others by their race or ethnicity or nationality or culture or language. They don’t say these things don’t exist, but they don’t measure people by them. They see each other as part of the same family, the family of God.

 

What does this truth mean for me? What does this truth mean for us as God’s people?

 

It means that our focus needs to on Jesus.

 

Hebrews 12:2

Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith. For the joy set before Him He endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

 

We are not to fix our eyes on what is different or what could separate us but on what unites us. No matter our race or nation or culture Jesus loves us and went to the cross for us. So, the receiving of that truth makes us family.

 

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is fixing our eyes on Jesus and letting His death on the cross unite us.

 

It means that God’s kingdom is what I am to seek.

 

Matthew 6:33

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

 

We are not to work for or seek to honor or to serve anyone but Jesus. That means the kingdom of God comes before my race or my nation or my culture. I see others who are followers of Jesus as part of the same kingdom that I am a part of and they are serving the same king, Jesus, that I am serving.

 

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is living in community with other followers of Jesus, serving the kingdom of God and our King Jesus.

 

It means that my first love is Jesus and I will love others in the way I love myself.

 

Mark 12:32

And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind and with all your strength.

 

In 1 John 4:18 we are told that perfect love casts out fear. When I love God and that is the focus of my daily life, then it will cast out any fear, I have no fear of people who may look or speak differently than how I look and speak. It will cast out any suspicion that I might have of someone of a different culture.

 

When loving God with all that I am is my priority, that will lead me to love as He loves. Jesus loves us as we are, and when I let God’s love guide my life, then I will love others like Jesus loves others. And in John 13:35 Jesus says that it is our love for others that will mark us as His disciples.

 

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is loving God with all that we are and allowing that love to empower us to really love others.

 

The time is now for the church, God’s community of faith, to show the world a new way. A way that does not measure the worth of a person by their race or ethnicity or language or nationality or culture but by the truth that God loves all His human creation and died for all of us and wants a relationship with all of us.

 

It is a way that loves others as Jesus loves us.

It is a way that forgives others as Jesus forgives us.

It is a way that unites God’s children and invites all people to come into a relationship with Jesus as our Savior and Lord.

 

In Unity with All God’s Children Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,

                                                       Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment