Sunday, October 7, 2018

Really Hear What God is Saying


I have been studying and teaching God’s Word for over four decades. There are many passages that I have read, studied, and taught many times. The fact is, there are times when I know the passage so well that I don’t think about what God is saying that might be a new understanding. I just study and teach it without really hearing what God is saying.



One of those passages is 1 John 1:9.



1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”



I focused for a long time on the first part of that verse. The part that says “forgive us of our sins”, and ignored the second part that says “and cleanses us of all unrighteousness”.



Forgiveness of our sins is important. It is hugely important that, when we confess sins, God forgives. The truth that God forgives us of every sin when we confess it is comforting and gives me assurance of God’s love.



But the reality is I have been told by people that I was forgiven for something that I had done to someone only to have it brought up the next time I offended that person.



Jesus is telling us that He forgives us and releases us from the penalty of our sins. He is also assuring us that those sins are cleansed. Those sins are no longer true of us. Those sins have been removed from our lives: past, present, and future.



I no loner bear the penalty of those sins I have confessed.

I no longer bear the guilt of those sins I have confessed.

I no longer bear the shame of those sins I have confessed.



I did things when I was in high school that I look back on now and regret that I did them. But those are sins that I have confessed, and God has forgiven me and cleansed me of those.



God not only releases the penalty of my sin, He also takes away the shame of my sin.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is experiencing God’s forgiveness and God’s cleansing.



Then in Romans 8:1 it says, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”



God will never condemn me or reject me.



I have been condemn by other humans.

I have been rejected by other humans.



I have never been and I will never be condemned or rejected by God.



That truth frees me in two areas.



It frees me never to fear that God will not want a relationship with me.

It frees me not to overreact when I am condemned or rejected by other humans.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is knowing that God wants a relationship with me and that will never change.



A third familiar passage is Romans 8:37-39 were we are told that we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. Then is goes on to tell us that all the things that we think will separate us from God’s love will actually never separate us from His love.



Things like:

Death nor Life

Angels nor Rulers

Things Present nor Things to Come

Nor Powers

Nor Height nor Depth

Nor Anything Else in All Creation



The truth that nothing in the physical or nothing in the spiritual can cause God not to love me is the most assuring truth that I could possibly have.



Almost everything in this world is based on how we perform.



I have to do certain things or have to measure up to a standard for others to like me. The truth that I don’t have to do anything to get God to love me and that His love will not ever be kept from me is awesome.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is knowing God loves me and that He will always love me, no matter what.



God forgives my sins.

God cleanses me from my sins.

God will never condemn me.

God will always love me.

God will never allow His love to be taken from me.



This is a God that, if I didn’t know, I would want to know.

This is a God that I want a relationship with.



Knowing Who God Really Is, and

Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,

                                                         Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment