Sunday, October 14, 2018

Difficulties Turned to Strengths


Jesus was not a trained rabbi. He had not studied under a certified rabbi of any kind. The Jewish religious leaders did not acknowledge Jesus as a rabbi and certainly not as the Messiah.



Jesus experienced rejection from many sources. Jesus didn’t view Himself or define Himself by what others said or thought about Him. He defined Himself by what the Father said to Him.



Matthew 3:17

And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased.”



Matthew 17: 5

While he was speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is My Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased. Listen to Him!”



The Father says:

Jesus is His Son

Jesus is loved by the Father

Jesus is pleasing to the Father

Jesus is to be listened to



Jesus knew all this and was reminded by the Father at a very critical times in His life.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is letting God define you, not the world.



When most people give their qualifications for ministry, they mention education, training, and experience.



In 2 Corinthians 11, Paul lists the things that don’t qualify him and those that do qualify him to be a minister of Jesus.



In verse 22 Paul says that he is a Hebrew, an Israelite, and a descendant of Abraham. These are not what Paul see as qualifying him to serve Jesus.



In verses 23 through 27 Paul list his qualifications:

Prison Time

Floggings

Exposed to Death Many Times

Five Times Receiving 39 Lashes

Three Times Beaten with Rods

Stoned (with stones)

Three Shipwrecks

A Time in the Open Sea

Constantly Moving from Place to Place

In Danger from Rivers

In Danger from Bandits

In Danger from His Own Countrymen

In Danger from Gentiles

In Danger in the City

In Danger in the Country

In Danger at Sea

In Danger from False Brothers

Labors and Toils

Without Sleep

Hungry and Thirsty

Cold and Naked



Paul list his scars as his qualifications.



We, as a rule, try to avoid danger and punishment and discomfort. Paul saw them as a part of what it meant to follow Jesus.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is letting our difficult times equip us to minister the Gospel.



Paul does not allow all these difficult times to lead him to see himself as a victim.



In 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 Paul says, “But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”



Paul saw his difficulties as something to boast in.

Paul saw his difficulties as something that made him stronger.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is allowing God to turn your difficulties into strengths.



I experienced some of those difficulties this past week. I found myself in the local ER Thursday night with chest pains and high blood pressure. It turned out that is was not my heart, but it did involve stress. The stress was not put on me from others, but stress I put on myself.



God had been speaking to me about my worry and stress for some time. It took me laying in an ER hooked up to machines to hear God to tell me that ministry is not dependent on me and that I am not invincible. These last three days have felt more peaceful and joyful.



It has also shown me that I was being too critical of others. God’s grace is real for me and is to be dispensed to others.



It is truly amazing what God reveals when you slow down and listen to Him. It is also amazing how God uses difficult times to grow and strengthens us when we slow down and listen.



In God’s Power and God’s Perspective,

Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,

                                                           Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment