Sunday, January 26, 2014

Worshiping in The Temple of Power

POWER
It’s not a long word.
It’s not a hard word to spell.
It’s not a complex word.

Power is something that many people want.
Power is something that many people focus their lives on.
Power is something that many people will give anything to get.

Many people worship in the Temple of Power.

The gods in the Temple of Power are:
Achievement
Success
Money

In Scripture there were two men who worshiped in the Temple of Power.

The first was the Rich Young Ruler.

Matthew 19:16-22
Someone came to Jesus with this question: “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” “Why ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. But to answer your question - if you want to receive eternal life, keep the commandments.” “Which ones?” the man asked. And Jesus replied: “You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother. Love your neighbor as yourself.” “I’ve obeyed all these commandments,” the young man replied. “What else must I do?” Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” But when the young man heard this, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

The young man wanted eternal life. He wanted salvation. However, he wanted to do something so he could earn it.

He saw eternal life as another trophy. He probably had many. He saw salvation as an earned reward.

One of the most common gods of success people worship is following religious rules.

In Jesus’ lifetime the Pharisees certainly fit that description. They were all about the rules. Jesus harshest words were directed to them because they were not worshiping God. They were worshiping the power that came from following the rules and making others follow them gave to them.

Following rules doesn’t accomplish what God wants to do in our lives. Look at what Paul says in Colossians 2:21-23.

“Don’t handle this,” “Don’t taste that,” “Don’t even touch that thing”? These rules refer to earthly things that are gone as soon as they are used. They are only human commands and teachings. They seem to be wise, but they are only part of a human religion. They make people pretend not to be proud and make them punish their bodies, but they do not really control the evil desires of the sinful self.”

Jesus wants to transform your life. Religious rules can’t do that.

Jesus invited the rich young ruler to give up his wealth and follow Him.

The young man said no. He chose his wealth and possessions over Jesus. The wealth and possessions were his god and he didn’t want to exchange them for the One True God - Jesus.

As followers of Jesus, we must acknowledge our helplessness and need.

Salvation is not something we can ever earn or deserve. Ephesians 2:9 says, “It isn’t something you have earned, so there is nothing you can brag about.”

People who worship in the Temple of Power like to brag about their achievement in earning their salvation by following the rules.

People who worship in the Temple of God acknowledge that they are helpless and depend on God’s grace.

The second person is the Rich Farmer.

Luke 12:16-21
Then He told them a story: “A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops. He said to himself, ‘What should I do? I don’t have room for all my crops.’ Then he said, ‘I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger one. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and my other goods. And I’ll sit back and say to myself, ‘My friend you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!’ But God said to him, ‘You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?’” Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God.

Notice all the “my’s” in this passage. The farmer really thought it was all about him. He thought it was his achievement. He thought is was his success.

Many people view wealth with divine attributes.

They see it as their source of Security.

God’s Word says that wealth cannot be very secure and that we should not seek to be rich or poor.

Proverbs 30:8-9
Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, “Who is the Lord?” Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of God.

They see it as the source of Satisfaction.

Wealth can never satisfy because we will always want more.

Ecclesiastes 5:10
Those who love money will never have enough. How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness.

They see it as the source of Significance.

Wealth cannot get us what truly makes us valuable: a relationship with Jesus.

In Matthew 16:28 Jesus asks, “For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?”

Is earning wealth, achievement, or success worth my soul, who God created me to be?

When we worship in the Temple of God we connect with Jesus.

Jesus is our Provider

John 15:5
I am the vine. You are the branches. Those who live in me while I live in them will produce a lot of fruit. But you can’t produce anything without me.

He produces the fruit for us and through us.

We exist for Jesus.

John 15:8
My Father is honored by this, that you bear much fruit and show that you are My disciples.

Our lives are to honor the Father by following Jesus.

Jesus is all we need.

John 14:6
Jesus said to him,, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Jesus is our Provider.

Matthew 6:25
Therefore, I say to you, don’t worry about your life, what you’ll eat or what you’ll drink, or about your body, what you’ll wear. Isn’t life more than food and the body more than clothes?

Matthew 6:31-33
Therefore, don’t worry and say, “What are we going to eat?” or “What are we going to drink?” or “What are we going to wear?” Gentiles long for all these things. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them. Instead, desire first and foremost God’s kingdom and God’s righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Jesus will meet your needs.

Philippians 4:19
And the same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from His glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.

Jesus provides for us in life and in death.

John 14:2-3
In My Father’s house are many dwelling places, if not, I would have told you. I am going away to prepare a place for you. If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come back and receive you to Myself, so that where I am you may be also.

We have to depend on Jesus in death also because we are not going to leave here with any material things.

Ecclesiastes 5:15
As he came from his mother’s womb, so he will go again, naked as he came; he will take nothing for his efforts that he can carry in his hands.

It makes sense to alot of people to save up enough:
Dollars
Brownie Points
Box Tops
Soup Labels
Chuck E. Cheese Tickets
Good Deeds

To try and earn salvation.

That is how it is suppose to work in America - we earn it, we make our own way, we pay for everything with blood, sweat, and tears. We are self-made people.

Jesus, however, defines success and achievement entirely differently.

It is stepping away from the wealth.
It is stepping away from the stuff.
It is stepping away from the business.
It is stepping away from the prestige.
It is stepping away from the position.

It is Matthew 5:3-10, it is being
Being Poor in Spirit
Mourning
Being Meek
Hungering and Thirsting for Righteousness
Being Merciful
Being Pure in Heart
Being a Peacemaker
Suffering Persecution Because of Jesus

When you worship in the Temple of Power you think you can earn your salvation.

Paul says in the first part of Romans 6:23 that “the wages of sin is death.” A wage is something you earn. When I try to the very best of my abilities I earn - DEATH.

When you worship in the Temple of God you know you are helpless to earn your salvation. You know that without Jesus and His death on the cross and His resurrection you have no hope. Then the second part of Romans 6:23 becomes your reality, “But the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

YOU CHOOSE!

Acknowledging It Is Jesus Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls
Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment