Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Real Life

In the Gospels most of the time that Jesus uses the word "life", He is using the Greek word zoe. Now I am not a Greek scholar. I am not a scholar of any kind. I however, love to study the words of the Scriptures. In studying the words of the Bible I have found that this word zoe translated life is one of my favorite words. We who speak English have one word that means all kinds of life, all levels of life, and all stages of life. In the Greek they used several words.
When Jesus says for example in John 6:35 that He is the Bread of Life, He uses zoe not bio for life. He also uses zoe in John 14:6 where He says, "I am the way and the truth and the life." If Jesus would have used bio, he would have meant that He was the Bread of biological life. If Jesus would have used bio in John 14:6 He would have meant that He was the way and the truth and the biological life. He didn't use bio, He used zoe. Zoe means life to its fullest. Zoe means living and just existing.
Jesus gives us a better picture of this in John 10:10 when He says that He can to give us life (zoe) to it fullest.
Jesus wasn't born to give us biological life. Jesus didn't live and teach and preform miracles to give us biological life. Jesus didn't die to give us biological life. Jesus didn't resurrect to give us biological life. Jesus did all of those things to give us real life, life that is full, joyous, adventoursome, and eternal. What amazes me is that you and I are so quick to settle for just a biological existence. I have come to want more than just a safe and comfortable life. I want to experience the kind of life Jesus offers us in a relationship with Him. I want to experience the kind of life Jesus lived.
Allowing God to Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is experiencing life (zoe) to the fullest. It is not a life of safety, security, or comfort. It will be risky, but it will be worth all the risk. It will be a life lived giving glory to God.

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment