Sunday, June 23, 2024

God is My Portion

 

God is My Portion

 

Psalm 73:26 says, “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

 

The Palmist reminds us that our bodies will fail. James 4:14 reminds us that our life is like a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Life is finite & if we focus our lives on earthly temporary things we will miss the eternal things that God wants for us & that He wants to do through us.

 

The older I get, the more I think about what I am leaving behind through my life. In the song Only Jesus the chorus says:

And I, I don’t want to leave a legacy

I don’t care if they remember me

Only Jesus

And I, I’ve got one life to live

I’ll let every second point to Him

Only Jesus

 

That is what I want to leave behind with my life - only Jesus, because that is the only thing that will really last.

 

Raise the Roof & Remove the Walls is about living life with & for Jesus & leaving Jesus as our only legacy.

 

The Palmist also says that his heart will fail. We will face many disappointments & our hearts will be broken. In John 14:1 Jesus says, “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in Me.” Jesus knew that living in a fallen, sin dominated world would cause us to face discouragement & want to give up. But Jesus gives us an alternative to discouragement & hopelessness: faith in Him.

 

Raise the Roof & Remove the Walls is about, during difficult times that make us want to give up, turning to Jesus & making Him our hope.

 

Then the Palmist says, “But God.” That little two-word phrase changes everything.

 

The Palmist has God as the strength of his heart. When we face difficult circumstances, God is there to be our strength because we in ourselves have no strength.

 

In the song Waymaker, one portion of the song says:

Even when I don’t see it, You’re working

Even when I don’t feel it, You’re working

You never stop, You never stop working

You never stop, You never stop working

 

God is our strength even if we don’t see or feel Him working. He is working all the time.

 

Raise the Roof & Remove the Walls is about trusting God to work even if we can’t see it or feel it.

 

God is also our portion forever. God is our share. This world is not our home & thus nothing in this world is our share. Jesus & His kingdom are our share & it is an eternal share. When we die, we take nothing with us out of this world. But if we have surrendered our lives to Jesus, we will go to be immediately with Him, He is all we need.

 

Raise the Roof & Remove the Walls is about having Jesus as our portion & leaving the things of this world behind.

 

Psalm 90:12 says, “So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.” Our lives are finite & we will face many difficult times, but we number our days. We recognize that life is short & at times difficult. When we place our lives in Jesus we will have a life full of godly wisdom & we will spend eternity with the One who is our Savior & Lord.

 

Raise the Roof & Remove the Walls,

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment