Sunday, October 10, 2021

Sinners Not the Righteous

 

In Matthew 9:13 Jesus says that He had come not to call the righteous, but sinners.

 

In Luke 15:7 Jesus says, “That there is more joy over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.”

 

Jesus indicates in these verses that there are people who believe themselves to be righteous and have no need of repentance or change in their lives. Jesus didn’t come to call those people who see no need for Him and no need to repent. He did come to call people who recognize their sin and acknowledge it and are willing to turn from it.

 

When we recognize our sin and see the need to repent and for Jesus to transform us, what do we do?

 

1 Peter 5:6-8

Humble yourself, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

 

You humble yourself under God’s mighty hand.

 

To humble is to recognize our position in relationship to God. He is Lord and when I recognize that, let Him be the sole ruling authority of my life, I have humbled myself.

 

Humbling myself is not putting myself down, seeing myself as of no value or believing that I not loved. It is simply knowing that Jesus is my Lord.

 

When I humble myself under God’s authority, He exalts me. And when God exalts me, I am not going to fall from that exaltation.

 

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is humbling ourselves under God’s authority and letting Him exalt us when and how He wants.

 

Cast all anxieties and sins and failures and hurts and wounds on Jesus.

 

When Jesus died on the cross, He carried all of our sins, all our fears, all of our failures, and all of our diseases and bore them for us.

 We can cast them on Him because He cares for us. Jesus loves us and His perfect love for us casts out all fear.

 

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is casting everything upon Jesus because we know that He loves us and will take it all.

 

We need to be sober-minded and alert.

 

We need to live every day being alert:

By keeping our focus on Jesus

By knowing that God is for us not against us

 

We need to be sober-minded and alert because we have an enemy, Satan, who wants to destroy us.

 

We should never under estimate Satan’s hatred of us and that he is stronger than we are.

We should never under estimate God’s love for us and His power over Satan.

 

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is living alertly to the attacks of Satan and the power of God to overcome him.

 

When Jesus says that He came to call sinners, not righteous, He is saying that until we acknowledge that we are sinners (all have sinned) we will never see and acknowledge our need for Him. We will thus never turn away from how we are living and repent and turn to Jesus.

 

We all have sinned and come short of God’s standard. So, I am not to judge you. I am to acknowledge my own sin and allow the Holy Sprit to empower me to turn from my sin and come to Jesus, knowing He will accept me.

 

In Humility and Repentance Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,

                                                  Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment