Sunday, May 31, 2020

How Jesus Did It Part 2


Philippians 2:5 tells us to have the same mind that was in Jesus. Last week we looked at three things that were true of Jesus’ attitude and this week I want to look at three more.

Jesus was slow to condemn.

The attitude of Jesus was in direct opposition to the religious leaders of His day when it came to how He viewed sinners. The religious leaders condemned them, scorned them, and completely kept themselves separated from them. Jesus loved them, befriended them, and spent time with them.

In Luke 7 Jesus has an encounter with a woman of the city, a sinner. She comes and worships Jesus by using her tears to wash His feet, her hair to wipe His feet, and anoints His feet with expensive ointment.

The response of the religious leaders is recorded in Luke 7:39. “If this man were a prophet, He would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.”

Jesus accepted the woman’s worship and in Luke 7:50 Jesus says to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

Jesus could have condemned this woman.
Jesus could have condemned the woman at the well in John 4.
Jesus could have condemned the woman taken in adultery in John 8.
Jesus could have condemned Zacchaeus.
Jesus could have condemned Peter.
Jesus could have condemned me.

But Jesus did not condemn any of these. In Romans 8:1, Paul writes that there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.  

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is not condemning others.

Jesus saw people as they might be.

In John 1:42 Andrew brings Simon to Jesus and Jesus says, “You are Simon the son of John. You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter). Peter means rock. Jesus saw in Peter the man who would stand at Pentecost in Jerusalem and preach to the crowd and see three thousand people surrender their lives to Jesus as Lord. The man who would deny Him three times was there, but Jesus knew that real Peter would emerge.
Jesus looks at the heart, not at the outward appearance. Jesus knows that a heart centered on Him and a life filled with the Holy Spirit can be used by the Father to do powerful and miraculous things. Jesus knows who we are and who He will form us into.

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is seeing the heart of people not just their outward appearance.

Jesus did not give up easily.

Jesus called twelve imperfect men to follow Him and become apostles. Jesus never gave up on them.

These men:
Misunderstood Jesus
Disobeyed Jesus
Doubted Jesus
Questioned Jesus
Denied Jesus
Abandoned Jesus
And even Betrayed Jesus

But in all that, Jesus never gave up on them. He never stopped loving them or teaching them. And when eleven of the twelve finally got it, He used them to change the world.

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is not giving up on others.  

As a pastor, I have been guilty of being quick to condemn people, and I have been guilty of not really seeing people as they could be, and I have been guilty of giving up on people.

Jesus has never condemned me. He has disciplined me to move me into obedience to Him, but only out of His love for me.

Jesus has never not seen me. He has seen in me things I did not see in myself and by the Holy Spirit used me in ways I never thought possible.

Jesus has never given up on me. I have given up on myself many times, but He has always encouraged and strengthened me to believe Him and let Him use me.

If we allow the Holy Spirit to impart into us the mind or attitude of Jesus, we will be people who don’t condemn others, we will see the possibility in others, and we will not give up on others.

With the Mind of Jesus Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,
                                                Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment