Sunday, April 19, 2020

Perseverance


Luke 18:1

Then Jesus told His disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.



Jesus saw that, in us as humans, there is a tendency that, when things are not easy, to give up. We as followers of Jesus have been given through the indwelling presence and work of the Holy Spirit the amazing gift of perseverance. But we have to utilize it.



In our culture people give up on their marriages, their rehab treatments, their diets, their exercise programs, their educational goals, and even their ministries.



Why should we persevere?



James 1:2-4

Count it all joy my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.



Perseverance is a tool God uses to mature us and complete us. It allows God to make us more and more like Jesus. Jesus lived His life in complete obedience to the Father and completed the mission the Father had for Him, our salvation. When Jesus said on the cross, “It is finished!” He had completed His mission. He had persevered.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is allowing God to strengthen us so that we can persevere and thus grow to be like Jesus.



1 Timothy 4:16

Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.



When we persevere in completing the ministry that God has given us it will result in people coming into relationship with Jesus and receiving salvation.



Isaiah 55:11

It is the same with My word. I sent it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it.



When we persevere in living and sharing the Good News, God will always use it to produce spiritual fruit in people’s lives.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is persevering in living and sharing God’s Word and seeing people’s lives changed.



Galatians 6:9

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we reap, if we do not give up.



God’s promise is that when we persevere, don’t give up, we will see a harvest. A truth that God taught me over thirty years ago was that we continue to obey God in the direction He gives us until He gives us a new direction to go in.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is continuing to do the good work God has given us to do and trusting that He will bring the harvest.



We are living in a time as God’s people when perseverance is vitally important. I know that our perseverance is being tested right now.



I believe that right now is a great test for the American church. I believe that through really listening to God and seeing God’s perspective on the situation we can persevere and impact our nation.



Do I like that I cannot meet with my faith family physically? No!

Do I like some of the things that our elected leaders are doing in response to the health situation? No!



But that is not the focus we as God’s people are to have. Our focus is to be on what God is telling us to do and what God is going to accomplish out of this situation.



I hear and see on social media that the church is closed. I want to say this in love: The Church Is Not Closed! The church I pastor is sharing the truth of God’s word and I believe that we are doing it more and are reaching more people than we ever have before. We are still ministering to each other and again I believe in a deeper way than we ever have before. We are still ministering to our community and again I believe more than we ever have before.



God’s church is God’s church, not yours or mine. He is the Head and He calls the shots and gives the direction for His church. When we whine about our circumstances, it disrespects the power and foreknowledge of God. It says that God didn’t see this coming and He cannot use and grow His church in the midst of it. It also disrespects our brothers and sisters who have lived for years persevered with more severe restrictions and persecutions than we have.



I read Psalm 27 today. These are verses one to three.



The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. Through an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.



Fear and complaining are not to be the response of God’s people. Faith, obedience, and creativity are to be the response of God’s people. Persevere by trusting God to take care of you and to grow His church in the midst of restrictions and fear.



We defeat fear by praising God, not complaining or whining because I read the end of the Book and God wins. So, God’s people, raise a Hallelujah.



In Perseverance Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,

                                            Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment