Sunday, January 13, 2019

Grace Overcomes Condemnation


A large and important aspect of grace is the truth that Jesus does not condemn us.



There are times in my life when I feel exhausted.

There are times in my life when I feel unworthy.

There are times in my life when I feel condemned.



When I have those feelings, I have learned two important things.



First, I am not to live my life or relate to Jesus based on my feelings.

Second, I go to God’s Word to realign my life with truth.



So, when I face those feelings of unworthiness and condemnation, I bank on Romans 8:1. That verse says, “There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”



There are three words in this verse that I need to hear daily.



Now No Condemnation



Condemnation:



To condemn someone is to expose them because of what they have done. We all deserve condemnation. I know this.



I know what I am. I know my thoughts and desires that no one but Jesus and I know.



Psalm 94:11 tells us that God knows the thoughts of men.



Matthew 15:18-20

But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person.



Jesus knows that all these thoughts and desires have been in my heart. And on top of that, there have been times when I have squandered opportunities to love Jesus and love others.



So, yes, I deserve to be condemned by Jesus.

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is recognizing that I deserve condemnation.



No Condemnation:



So here it is written in Scripture that there is no condemnation. Somehow it is possible to go from being condemned, all deserving that condemnation, to no condemnation at all. But it is in no way because of me. It is no condemnation based on being in Jesus. It is the grace of Jesus that delivers me from being condemned.



Being in Christ means we’re united with Him, so that what is true of Him is now true of us. What is naturally true of Jesus, He now shares with us. Jesus absorbs my debt (my sin); I gain His righteousness. Jesus was condemned so I could be forgiven and experience the freedom of no condemnation.



I cannot say. “There is no condemnation for Joe Byers.” But I can say for Joe Byers in Christ Jesus, “There is no condemnation.” This is truth only because I am His.



No condemnation means Jesus will never count our sin against us. Even the must shameful and disgusting things I have ever done will never be used against me. Jesus will always be for us and never against us.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is living based on the truth there is no condemnation for us when we are in Christ Jesus.



Now No Condemnation:



This is not some hypothetical or theological concept. It is a present-day reality. It is not something I have to wait for, hanging in there until it arrives. It is a right now reality.



I wake up everyday with Jesus telling me that I am in Him and therefore that there is no condemnation. This is a truth that I need to have at the very core of my being. It needs to define how I see myself.



I need not fear the condemnation of people when I am guaranteed the favor and approval of Jesus.

Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is living every day with the knowledge that Jesus is completely for me.



Now No Condemnation is because of God’s grace through Jesus.



With No Condemnation, Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,

                                           Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment