Sunday, May 13, 2018

Relating to God


What is the most important thing in the life of a follower of Jesus?



I think it is very simple. It is knowing Jesus in an intimate love relationship and experiencing His presence in our lives.



In Exodus 33:10-11 it says, “Whenever the people saw the pillar of cloud at the entrance to the tent, they all stood and worshiped, each at the entrance  to their tent. The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.”



Notice it says that God would speak to Moses, not Moses would speak to God. God initiated the communication. Moses had a very personal relationship with God.



The close relationship that Moses had with God enabled him to talk with God in a very honest manner.



In Exodus 33:12-13, Moses says to God, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but You have not let me know whom You will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with Me.’ If You are pleased with me, teach me Your ways so I may know You and continue to find favor with You. Remember that this nation is Your people.”



Moses wants to know if God is going to be with him and continue to show him favor.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is wanting God more than anything.



Moses is concerned about God not being with him and God’s people and that they didn’t have favor with God because in Exodus 33:3, God says that He would not go with them into the Promised Land because, if He did, He would destroy the people.



God had promised:

Angelic Accompaniment

Victory Over Their Enemies

Possession of the Land

A Land That was Fruitful



There was one catch: God would not go with them.



In Exodus 33:14 God says, “My Presence will go with you and I will give you rest.”



God promises to be with Moses.   



Raise the Roof and Removing the Walls is believing God.



In Exodus 33:15 Moses says to God, “If Your Presence will not go with us, do not send us up from here.”



Remember where Moses and the people were. They were in the desert, in the middle of nowhere. Moses would rather be left in the desert with God than to enter the Promised Land without God.



Many times I see people becoming mad because they are focused, not on the presence of God, but on the blessings of God. Moses was focused on the presence of God because the blessings are worth nothing without the presence of God.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is focusing on the person of God, not just the blessings of God.



Then in Exodus 33:16 Moses asks God, “How will anyone know that You are pleased with me and with Your people unless You go with us? What will distinguish me and Your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”



Moses knew that what had brought the people to where they were right then was God and His power and His presence. He knew that without God’s presence, they had no hope.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is recognizing that we are totally dependent on God.



I love Beth Moore’s paraphrase of this passage. “I’d rather be right here in the thorns and thistles and never know the taste of milk and honey if that’s what it takes to have You. Let my foes keep every inch of that land if, in order to possess it, I can’t have You. Give me every blessing that I can have and still have You or give me nothing at all beside You. No promise on earth can take the place of Your presence.  I choose the desert if that’s where You are. If You’re not going, I’m staying.”



In 2 Chronicles 7:14 we are told to seek God’s face. We are not told to seek God’s hands (what He does, His blessings), but His face (who He is, His presence).



I understand living in the desert. In 1982 God directed me and my family to move to the desert. The last 35 plus years we have lived in the desert and loved it. We have had opportunities to leave God has directed us to stay because that is where He wants us. We have desired to have Jesus more than anything.



God’s answer to Moses is found in Exodus 33:17. God says, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know your name.”



God will do what Moses asks because He knows Moses. He knows Moses’ heart and He is pleased with him.



When we want what God wants, we are in the middle of His will and our desires will please Him and we will see answers to our prayers.



With Jesus, Wherever He Is, Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,

                                                 Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment