Sunday, September 10, 2017

This is Not Where I Belong


I hope that this devotion makes sense. This was a very busy week and an even busier weekend. We are doing an outreach event to our community. We are also moving. I plan for this to be the last house I will buy. I am even hopeful that this will be my last earthly move.



I know that may sound sad, but I see it as a great joy.



In 1 Peter 2:11 we are called aliens and strangers in this world.

In Hebrews 11:13 we are called strangers and exiles.



This world is not my home. I am simply a pilgrim.



A pilgrim is someone passing through with a destination they are going toward and a purpose while they are going.



That means that as followers of Jesus we have a purpose as we live this life on earth.



So, what is our purpose?



We as people who have surrendered ourselves to Jesus have a purpose with three aspects.



Aspect #1: We are to glorify God.



1 Corinthians 10:31

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God.



Glorifying God means to:

Honor God

Exalt God

Worship God



It means that I make Jesus the #1 priority of my life with no rivals or nothing else competing for my devotion.



Aspect #2: To build the kingdom of God.



In Matthew 4:17 Jesus begins His preaching ministry and His message is clear, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.”



Jesus came to establish God’s kingdom, and as Jesus’ followers we are to focus our lives on the kingdom.



In Matthew 6:33 Jesus tells us to seek first, meaning above everything, God’s kingdom and His righteousness.



In Colossians 3:2 Paul tells us to set our minds on things above and not on earthly things.



These passages make it clear that our lives are to focus on God and His kingdom.



Aspect #3: Make disciples.



In Matthew 28:19 Jesus tells His disciples to go and make disciples.



Many times, we focus on making converts. We want people to acknowledge Jesus as their Savior and have their sins forgiven. That desire is good and God desires that also. It simply does not go far enough. Jesus wants disciples. He wants men and women who love Him and, out of that love, let Him live His life through them. Jesus wants people whose daily life is totally focused on Him.



These three aspects all lead to one purpose: a life that is lived in obedience and submission to Jesus to the extent that others see Jesus in us as His followers.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is living knowing that our lives belong to Jesus and with full commitment to doing His will.



Pilgrims have a destination.



In Philippians Paul says, “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”



Our destination is heaven.



Building 429 has a song called Where I Belong. The chorus to the song says:

All I know is I’m not home yet

This is not where I belong

Take this world and give me Jesus

This is not where I belong



We are created in the image of God and designed to live with Him for eternity. We will not want to do that on the earth in its present condition.



According to John 14 Jesus has gone and prepared a place for us and one day He will come and take us to be in this place. The greatest thing about that place is that Jesus is there.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is knowing that heaven is my ultimate home and living based on that truth.



That is why the thought that this will be the last home in which I live on this earth is not a sad one.



I am not in a hurry to die, but death does not have the last word. Jesus has the last word and His word is that in this life I will face trouble, but He has overcome the world.



Jesus shares that overcoming of this world with us and we have the victory.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is experiencing victory in Jesus.



As a Pilgrim Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment