Sunday, March 5, 2017

What the Gospel of Grace Is and Does


The Gospel of Jesus is a Gospel of grace. In Galatians 1:11-24 Paul shares six truths connected to the Gospel and grace.



Galatians 1:11-12

I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.



Truth #1: The Gospel does not come from man but from God.



2 Peter 1:21 says, “For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.”



The Bible is God’s Word written by people through the inspiration and insight of the Holy Spirit. When God uses pastors, teachers, or counselors to share His Word and it connects with you, that’s God.



We need to approach every time we read, study or hear the Word of God as a time that we hear from and encounter God.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls see God’s Word as God’s Word.



Galatians 1:13-15a

For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by His grace...



Truth #2: God can and does change us and our way of living.



The word repentance means to do an about face. It means we are headed in one direction and we stop and go in the opposite direction. We tend to associate repentance with the initial experience of salvation. But repentance is continually seeing the truth of God and allowing Him to change the direction of our lives.



Acts 3:19-20 says, “Repent, therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus.”

Repentance brings removal of sins, times of refreshing, and the presence of Jesus in our daily lives.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is allowing God to change you and make you a new creation.



Galatians 1:15b-17

…was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus.  



Truth #3: Our understanding of the truth of the Gospel comes by God revealing it to us.



Biblical truth, spiritual truth is not discovered.

Biblical truth, spiritual truth is revealed by God.



When I was very young in the ministry, I marveled at how much insight older, more experienced ministers and pastors had about God and His Word. I now know it comes by two things: time spent with God in His Word and the work of the Holy Spirit revealing it to you.



It is not about my education.

It is not about my training.

It is not about my intelligence.



In fact, it is not about me; it is about the Holy Spirit revealing it to me.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is the Holy Spirit revealing the truth of God’s Word to me.



Galatians 1:18-19

Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Peter and stayed with him fifteen days. I saw none of the other apostles – only James, the Lord’s brother.



Truth #4: Grace is given to us for our good and the good of others.



I would love to have been in the room just listening to Peter and Paul talk and discuss. I believe that as they spent those fifteen days together they encouraged each other.



In Romans 1:11-12 Paul says, “I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong – that is, that you and I may mutually be encouraged by each other’s faith.”



The word gospel means good news. It is good news to us personally and it is good news to those we share the gospel with.



When we share the Gospel and when we live out the Gospel it benefits us and it benefits those around us.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is mutually encouraging each other through the Gospel.



Galatians 1:20

I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie.



Truth #5: The Gospel leads us to speak the truth.



Jesus says He is the truth in John 14:6.



Paul says in Ephesians 4:15 that we as followers of Jesus are to speak the truth in love.



When we speak the truth in love, we are speaking the way Jesus spoke. We are thus reflecting the truth of God.



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is speaking the truth in love.



Galatians 1:21-24

Later I went to Syria and Cilicia. I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. They only heard the report: “The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy.” And they praised God because of me.



Truth #6: It is about God’s glory, not about who we are.



Following Jesus is about Jesus. We many times seem to think that following Jesus is about us. The purpose of our lives is to glorify God. We glorify God not because it benefits us, but because He is worthy of our praise.



Revelation 4:11 says, “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by Your will they were created and have their being.”



Raise the Roof and Remove the Walls is about Jesus.



By the Gospel of Grace Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls,

                                              Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment