Sunday, March 23, 2014

Don't Grow Weary

I have noticed something. I have noticed it in my life. I have noticed it in my faith family. I have noticed it in the lives of many followers of Jesus. What I have noticed that we grow weary.

The definition of weary in the dictionary is simply tired, worn out. It is all about simply being physically tired. We all experience that.

The definition of weary in Scripture is to lose heart. It means to be utterly spiritless. Weary is to lose our will, our spirit to go on. It is a complete loss of hope and desire.

We don’t have to get there, but many of us have.

Paul writes to the followers of Jesus in Galatia in Galatians 6:9 these words, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

Then Paul writes to the followers of Jesus at Thessalonica in 2 Thessalonians 3:13 these words, “And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right.”

Jesus got physically tired. In John 4:6 we are told Jesus was tired from His travels.

Jesus became at times emotionally discouraged. In Mark 8 Jesus becomes discouraged because the Twelve didn’t understand when Jesus told them to be careful about the yeast of the Pharisees and Herod.

Jesus never became weary. He never lost heart. He never was utterly spiritless. He was never without hope.

What makes you grow weary? I can’t answer that for you. I will share with you some things that are tempting me to grow weary right now.

2 Corinthians 4:16
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

Growing old and dealing with health issues tempts me to grow weary.

I am 62 years old. That is totally unreal to me. How did I get this old? Being 62 means many things and many of them are great. But at this age my body does not work like it use to. And the truth is it will not get any better.

BUT, 2 Corinthians 4:16 says even though my physical body is wasting away, I, Joe, the real me inside, is being renewed every day.

I see many of my faith family dealing with health issues. I see my own sister suffering with Alzheimer’s and at times it spiritually discourages me.

Ephesians 3:13
I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory.

Suffering tempts me to grow weary.

Suffering is a part of life in a fallen world like the one we live in.

There are three kinds of suffering.

One is suffering that every human experiences because of the fallen nature of creation.

Second is the suffering that comes when we sin. Sin always leads to suffering and unless sin is dealt with by confession and repentance, it will lead to death.

I see many people suffering because they will not surrender their will and desires to God. They will not do God’s will and develop God’s desires.

I see
Marriages
Families
Churches
Lives
being destroyed because people will not submit their will and lives to Jesus.

A third is suffering that comes from following Jesus. Jesus tells us to expect it, but also see it as our glory. If we are truly seeking to follow and obey Jesus, the enemy, Satan will try to stop us. When we experience suffering because of our faith in Jesus it should cause us to celebrate.

Hebrews 12:5
But you have forgotten that the Scriptures say to God’s children, “When the Lord punishes you, don’t make light of it, and when He corrects you, don’t be discouraged.”

I am tempted to grow weary when I am disciplined. I have to remember that God only disciplines those who are His children. So God’s discipline is really an indication of His love.

God’s discipline should not tempt me to grow weary.

God’s discipline should cause me to be greatly encouraged.

If God does not want us to grow weary, what has He given us to enable us to not to?

Luke 18:1
Then Jesus told His disciples a parable to show them they should always pray and not give up.

Jesus has given us prayer to help us not grow weary.

Prayer is not
A Ritual
A Duty
A Religious Exercise
Something to do when you have tried everything else

Prayer is the relationship. Prayer is communicating with Jesus. Prayer is the sharing of our lives with the Maker of our lives.

In prayer we find not just strength or hope or encouragement but we find a person - Jesus.

2 Corinthians 4:1
Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart.

God has poured His mercy out on us. His mercy enables us to not grow weary as we minister to others.

Ministry is serving others in the name of and for the honor of Jesus. When we serve others in Jesus’ name, they don’t always respond the way we want them to. Some people at times may respond in very hostile and harsh ways. God’s mercy enables us to not grow weary, but continue to love and serve those people.

2 Corinthians 7:6
However, God comforts people who are discouraged, and He comforted us by Titus’ arrive.

God comforts people who are discouraged. God can do that in many ways. One way I have experienced God’s comfort is through the Comforter Himself - the Holy Spirit.

God just doesn’t give us impersonal comfort. He is our comfort. He draws us up into His lap and wraps His arms around us.

Zephaniah 3:17
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.

The picture in Zephaniah 3:17 is of a parent who holds their child in their arms and sings to them to quiet and comfort them. That is our God!

1 Thessalonians 5:14
We encourage you, brothers and sisters, to instruct those who are not living right, cheer up those who are discouraged, help the weak, and be patient with everyone.

God has given us the church as an instrument to help us as followers of Jesus to not grow weary.

We need the church. We don’t necessarily need the church building, the church structure, the church programs or church ministries. We need the CHURCH, the called out ones - the people.

I need the brothers and sisters of my faith family. It is through them that God many times speaks comfort and encouragement to me. The church is the Body of Christ and we need a God with skin on and that is the church.

Hebrews 12:3
Think about the one who endured such opposition from sinners so that you won’t be discouraged and won’t give up.

The greatest blessing God has given us to enable us not to grow weary is JESUS.

Jesus came, lived, and died for you and me. His example of enduring all that He endured should cause us to see that Jesus, the unique, all-power, all-known, ever-present, majestic, Creator God loves us.

The fact that Jesus loves us and gave Himself for us should enable us to not grow weary even in the worst situations.

Raising the Remove and Removing the Walls will make you physically weary.

But Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls will enable you to let God encourage you through prayer, through God’s mercy, through God’s comfort, through God’s church, and through Jesus Himself not to grow weary and give up.

Acts 5:41
As they left the council, they weren’t discouraged at all. In fact, they were filled with joy over being considered worthy to suffer disgrace for the sake of His name.

Life is many times unfair, discouraging, and difficult. The message God would have you and me as His children to hear is DON’T BE DISCOURAGED, I love you and I am with you.

I admit to you that part of why God directed me to write this devotion this week is because I am feeling tempted to be weary and give up.

So don’t grow weary, keep on following Jesus and I will too.

Not Growing Weary in Raising the Roof and Removing the Walls
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment